Wednesday, August 6, 2014

[Debian 7.6] Nepomuk file indexer, why are you so useless? :(

The place where I live have power outages. Something that I can't control, sadly. I've noticed that while the file indexer is running and there's a sudden power outage, or maybe I pressed the reset button by mistake; it makes the whole KDE environment unstable. Prime example would be Dolphin, it takes like a minute or two to launch.

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
How to solve the problem?

Disable the file indexer. Something I didn't really want to do to be honest, there's no other way. Well, more like I don't want to invest my time on something that should work out of the box. I wish it had a mechanism where it could automatically get rid of corrupted files, that would be more ideal than having the user delete the corrupted file. Bugs like that kills the user experience, and that for me is unacceptable.

No, no. I won't upgrade or change my distribution. Distro hopping is never the answer. This is one of the things I dislike about Debian is that once a freeze happens, packages won't get updated unless it's a security issue. Even if the package receive bugfixes as minor bugs (lets say 1.7.1 becomes 1.7.2) chances of it making it to the repositories are dim.




No comments:

Post a Comment